- RSS Channel Showcase 3139445
- RSS Channel Showcase 5047223
- RSS Channel Showcase 7819468
- RSS Channel Showcase 2835732
Articles on this Page
- 03/03/12--08:53: _HDFC Greening Project
- 04/03/12--08:32: _LEARN ABOUT PROPOSE...
- 04/03/12--08:32: _Learn About Afforda...
- 04/12/12--09:46: _Seward Park Present...
- 05/15/12--08:44: _Seward Park ULURP V...
- 05/24/12--13:42: _2012 RGB Public Hea...
- 05/25/12--15:06: _Manhattan/Bronx Tow...
- 07/09/12--09:14: _Important Seward Pa...
- 07/09/12--12:26: _City Funds Homeless...
- 08/14/12--10:44: _From a Satisfied CS...
- 05/20/13--13:02: _Upcoming Rent Guide...
- 05/31/13--12:56: _Senior Activities i...
- 06/04/13--10:27: _NYCHA Infill Plan
- 07/10/13--14:18: _Senior Activities i...
- 08/02/13--07:57: _NYCHA Tenants Fight...
- 02/21/14--13:26: _Real-Time Enforceme...
- 03/07/14--10:47: _Experienced out-of-...
- 03/28/14--08:44: _Cooper Square Commi...
- 06/05/14--13:13: _2014 RGB Vote
- 06/13/14--07:56: _Tenant Rights Walki...
- 03/03/12--08:53: HDFC Greening Project
- 04/03/12--08:32: LEARN ABOUT PROPOSED MIXED-USE PLAN FOR SPURA
- 04/12/12--09:46: Seward Park Presentation
- 05/15/12--08:44: Seward Park ULURP Vote this Wednesday!
- 05/24/12--13:42: 2012 RGB Public Hearings
- 05/25/12--15:06: Manhattan/Bronx Town Hall on Thursday, June 7, 2012
- 08/14/12--10:44: From a Satisfied CSC Client
- 05/20/13--13:02: Upcoming Rent Guidelines Board Events
- 05/31/13--12:56: Senior Activities in June
- 06/04/13--10:27: NYCHA Infill Plan
- 07/10/13--14:18: Senior Activities in July
- 08/02/13--07:57: NYCHA Tenants Fight Infill Luxury Housing Plan
- 02/21/14--13:26: Real-Time Enforcement (RTE) Information Session Next Wednesday! 2/26
- 03/07/14--10:47: Experienced out-of-control construction? Take the RTE survey!
- 06/05/14--13:13: 2014 RGB Vote
If you are a property owner or board member of a low income cooperative, contact Steve or Angee to find out what types of free and low cost greening programs your building may be eligible for. In October, 2011, the Cooper Square Committee launched an HDFC Greening Project. We began by assisting our affiliate, the [...]
Where & When University Settlement 184 Eldridge St (btwn Rivington/Delancey Sts) Weds April 18, 20125:00-6:00pm – Technical Question & Answer Session 6:30 pm – Public Forum SUPPORT: PERMANENT Affordable Housing at least 50% for local residents (Community Board #3) priority for former Seward Park Urban Renewal Area (SPURA) site tenants (those who lived on Willet, [...]
When: Tuesday, April 10th 2012, 7:00 PM Where: Masaryk Towers Community Room- 75 Columbia Street What: Special Informational Meeting on New Plan for Seward Park Urban Renewal Area Are you a former Seward Park Site Tenant? Do you or a family member need affordable housing? After many years of inaction and broken promises, a compromise [...]
Want to learn about the history of the Seward Park Urban Renewal Area? Want to know where it’s going? See Executive Director Steven Herrick’s presentation on Seward Park here. (MS Powerpoint file)
Community Board 3′s Seward Park Committee will be voting on the ULURP application for the large urban renewal area this Wednesday, May 16th. Come show your support for permanently affordable housing, living wage jobs, and responsible economic development without big box stores. Location: 184 Eldridge St. at 6:30 pm. To see a map of the [...]
NOW IS THE TIME TO PROTEST HIGHER RENTS! The Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) has proposed a rent increase of up to 4% per year and landlords are demanding even higher “supplemental” increases. Turn-out for the hearings is critical! The RGB has voted for excessive rent increases unaffordable to tenants (the 99%) throughout NYC–despite reports that [...]
6:30-8:30pm at the Hartley House, 413 West 46th Street (btw. 9th & 10th Avenues) Stop landlords from getting J-51 renewal unless tenants get stronger protection! Reduce preferential rent increases Limit Major Capital Improvement increases to costs End MBR increases for rent-controlled tenants Reform the Rent Guidelines Board! Come tell your story as a tenant. Cooper Square Committee [...]
The City Planning Commission will be holding a hearing regarding the large scale development plan for the Seward Park Urban Renewal Area on Wednesday, July 11th at 10 am at 22 Reade Street, 6th floor, between Lafayette St. and Broadway. The plan calls for at least 900 mixed income apartments, of which 50% will be affordable to low, moderate [...]
The Cooper Square Committee and the Ali Forney Center have been awarded $3 million by the City Council and an additional $300,000 by Borough President, Scott Stringer to develop housing for up to 18 homeless LGBT youth at 222 East 13th Street, which will be formally named the Bea Arthur Residence. Bea Arthur was an [...]
In the summer of 2010, I was facing some financial difficulty and had fallen behind on rent payments for my rent stabilized apartment on Ave B. Fearing that I would be evicted from my apartment, I was recommended by a friend to get in touch with Brandon Kielbasa at The Cooper Square Committee. Brandon had [...]
5/21@ 6:30pm: Meet the RGB Tenant Representatives, Brian Cheigh and Harvey Epstein! On Tuesday, May 21st, at 6:30 pm, join Tenants & Neighbors, Brooklyn’s Pratt Area Community Council and Good Old Lower East Side (GOLES) for a meeting with our tenant representatives on the board to talk about the RGB in 2013, hear about the [...]
COOPER SQUARE COMMITTEE/ MUTUAL HOUSING ASSOCIATION Senior Health, Advocacy, and Recreation Program (SHARP) FREE Neighborhood Activities The Cooper Square Committee/Mutual Housing Association SHARP Program has created this newsletter to inform you of free activities in the neighborhood for your enjoyment and enrichment. These activities are being offered at the following locations. Scroll down for a [...]
Cooper Square Committee opposes the infill plan as it stands. Some CSC members belong to a group called NYCHA Allies, opposing the plan. To get involved, email CSC Boardmember Harriet Putterman. 6/6/13, 5pm: Press conf & rally opposing the plan, sponsored by GOLES/Community Voices Heard. See Executive Director Steve Herrick’s presentation from our April 2013 membership meeting about [...]
COOPER SQUARE COMMITTEE/ MUTUAL HOUSING ASSOCIATION Senior Health, Advocacy, and Recreation Program (SHARP) FREE Neighborhood Activities The Cooper Square Committee/Mutual Housing Association SHARP Program has created this newsletter to inform you of free activities in the neighborhood for your enjoyment and enrichment. These activities are being offered at the following locations. Scroll down for a calendar. [...]
Cooper Square Committee members and staff joined hundreds of tenants who turned out for a rally and public hearing held by the NYC Housing Authority (NYCHA) on July 24th at Pace University to protest NYCHA plans to lease 18 parcels of land at eight Manhattan housing projects for luxury housing. 8 parcels at five Lower [...]
Come learn how to keep your home safe and livable during construction! Weds 2/26/2014, 7 PM – 8:30 PM 59-61 E. 4th St., 4th Floor, Manhattan (handicapped accessible) At this session you can: Hear more about the RTE Campaign’s 2014 agenda Get involved with a subcommittee (survey distrib., media relations, regulation reform, actions/demonstrations) Take the […]
We are working on collecting data on what tenants face during mismanaged construction so that we can create new laws and put an end to it. If this is something you have experienced, please come into the CSC office (61 E 4th St) to pick up and fill out a Real-Time Enforcement Construction survey. Tenant […]
The NYC Dept. of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) is expected to file the Urban Development Action Area Plan for the Bea Arthur Residence at 222 E. 13th St. with the City Council in the coming weeks. The City Council must pass a resolution designating the project a UDAAP, and authorizing a long term tax […]
1% and 2.75% More details here. Despite a massive turnout of tenants at last night’s Rent Guidelines Board vote, and calls for a rent freeze, the RGB voted for a 1% increase on one-year leases, and 2.75% for two-year leases. While it’s disappointing that the RGB didn’t vote for a rent freeze, the 1% increase for […]
Meet at CSC, 61 East 4th Street, Manhattan Price: $10 RSVP Required More tours to be conducted later in the year, click here if you want to receive a heads-up when we choose dates. This tour is designed to both highlight tenant organizing victories and the present-day struggles tenants face in […]